It is believed that Guru Nanak ji bestowed the world with not just knowledge, but enlightenment. The priceless knowledge that he brought to the world is recorded in the holy book of Sikhs, called Guru Granth Sahib- which is the chief deity and is revered in Gurudwaras and homes. The recurrent themes of light, knowledge, enlightenment is manifested in the practise of lighting diyas and candles on this day. This year, the auspicious occasion of the 552nd birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev ji will fall on November 19, 2021 and it will be celebrated by followers of the Sikh religion worldwide.
A much-awaited and significant festival, Guru Nanak Jayanti is celebrated with gusto, elaborate rituals and processions. The celebrations are full-fledged and begin two days prior to the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev. An ‘akhand paath’, which is a non-stop recitation of the Guru Granth Sahib, takes place. A day before the big day, a procession called Nagar Kirtan is held in which the Guru Granth Sahib is carried on a palanquin with people singing songs of praise of the Guru, play musical instruments and display martial arts skills with swords and kirpans- a small sword which bears cultural significance in Sikhism. The procession is led by five dressed men called ‘Panj Pyare’ who hold the Sikh flag called ‘Nishan Saheb’. This procession is mainly organized so as to honour Sikhism and its culture, heritage and most importantly, the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev ji which are symbolized by the supreme Guru, the Guru Granth Saheb. With the occasion being celebrated today, we bring to you some of the best messages and quotes with which you can wish your loved ones and convey your sincerest greetings to them.
Wishes, Greetings and Messages
1. May this Gurpurab fill your life with light, knowledge, happiness and love. Happy Gurpurab to you and your family!
2. Light, more light and lots of light to drive away the darkness of ignorance, greed, dissatisfaction, hatred and selfishness. Sending you the choicest greetings of this day and the days to come on this auspicious occasion!
3. May Guru Nanak Dev’s blessings always shine on you like today’s full moon. Wishing happiness, health and love for you and your family in the days to come. Happy Guru Nanak Dev Jayanti to you!
4. May teachings of the Guru never leave your side. May you spread happiness, light and love and find it in abundance throughout life. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti. Blessings and good wishes for you all!
5. I wish for Guru Nanak ji to be the guiding light of your life, now and forever! A very Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti to you and your family. Have a blessed day and year ahead.
6. Light candles and diyas, decorate your homes and sing praises of the one, final, eternal Guru! Here’s wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti!
Images, cards and pictures
1. Sikhism isn’t a religion; it is a way of life. A strong belief in a peaceful co-existence and ideals of peace, love and light is what a true believer of Sikhism has, regardless of their religion. Wishing a happy Gurpurab to everyone!
2. Compassion, altruism and service are that the Guru preaches for a fulfilled life. I hope for you and those around you to imbibe these values and practise them every day to celebrate the priceless legacy of the Guru truly! Happy Gurpurab to you and your family! Have a blessed day and year ahead.
3. Let us join hands to make the world a better place to live. Happy Guru Nanak Jayanti to you!
4. “He who has no faith in himself can never have faith in God.”
― Guru Nanak, Sri Guru Granth Sahib
5. “Even Kings and emperors with heaps of wealth and vast dominion cannot compare with an ant filled with the love of God.”
― Guru Nanak, Sri Guru Granth Sahib